How Do I Dispose of Old Meds And/or Hazardous Materials?

By Maureen Gregory

A great reference is Kitsap County’s informative website. There, you’ll find a recycling and disposal guide for all kinds of items, hazardous or not, from light bulbs to batteries to EpiPens.

Still have questions?

The eight-person Kitsap1 team fields residents’ queries about County services. Contact them at [email protected] or 360-337-5777. Many items can be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility in Bremerton, whose staff is there to help educate residents.

According to Rick Gilbert, program analyst for Kitsap County Solid Waste, oil-based paints, stains and all butane related products are the items most commonly brought to the facility.

Of special note is that pharmaceutical waste is prohibited from disposal in Kitsap’s garbage system. Use the blue bin inside the Bainbridge police station to dispose of unused medications (excluding sharps and illicit drugs); check out for specific instructions and additional locations.

Sharps are accepted at Bainbridge’s transfer station, but be sure to check the recycling and disposal guide for directions on how to safely seal them for disposal.

How Do I Dispose of Old Meds And:or Hazardous Materials?